Chicken With Orange Spice Lentils And Baby Carrots
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 4 x skinless chicken drumsticks - (abt 1 lb)
- 2 x garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 1/2 tsp grnd cumin
- 1/2 tsp grnd ginger
- 1 c. dry lentils
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 3/4 c. orange juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly-grnd black pepper
- 2 c. peeled baby carrots
- 3 Tbsp. minced fresh cilantro or possibly parsley
- In a very large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add in chicken and cook till well browned on all sides, turning often. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add in garlic, cumin, and ginger to the saucepan; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add in lentils, chicken broth, orange juice, salt, and black pepper. Bring the mix to a boil; let boil 2 min. Reduce heat to low and add in the reserved chicken. Cover and simmer 10 min.
- Add in carrots and simmer 10 to 15 min more, or possibly till lentils are tender. (If mix is dry and lentils are still not tender, add in a little water as necessary.) Sprinkle with cilantro or possibly parsley and serve.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
- Comments: Since dry lentils cook up in only 20 to 30 min, they're a great, nutritious staple to keep on hand.
Leave a review or comment