Chicken Stovies With Clapshot
- 4 Tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 1 x Onion cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 whl frying chicken, cut into 8 pcs
- 3 Tbsp. Flour
- 1 1/2 c. To 2 c. chicken broth
- 1/2 c. Heavy cream, optional
- 1 c. Diced, (1/2-inch) baked or possibly cooked smoked ham (8 ounces)
- 1/2 c. Finely minced flat leaf parsley
- 1 lb Rutabaga, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 x White turnips, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes (1/2 lb.)
- 4 sm All-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes (1 lb.)
- 1 Tbsp. Butter + 2 Tbsp. melted butter Salt and freshly grnd black pepper
- 1 c. Coarsely made fresh bread crumbs*, (2 ounces)
- * To make fresh bread crumbs, remove the crusts of a good quality white or possibly sourdough bread and process the slices in a food processor till you have coarse fresh bread crumbs
- TO BROWN THE CHICKEN: In a 6-qt dutch oven or possibly casserole over moderate heat, heat the butter. Add in the onion and cook, uncovered, for about 3 to 4 min or possibly till tender. Push the onions to the edges of the pan and add in the chicken, skin side down. Cook, turning frequently, for 3 to 4 min or possibly till the chicken has stiffened and is slightly colored. Cover and cook over very low heat, turning once, for about 10 min or possibly till the chicken is partially cooked. Remove the chicken to a plate and reserve for later.
- TO MAKE THE SAUCE AND COOK THE CHICKEN: Stir the flour into the fat and onions and cook, stirring for a minute or possibly two to cook out the raw flour taste. Add in 11/2 c. of the broth and whisk as it comes to a boil. Simmer, over low heat for 5 min, then add in the cream, if used, (if you do not add in the cream, add in 1/2 c. more of the chicken broth). Return the dark meat (thighs and drumsticks) to the casserole, and simmer over moderate heat, uncovered, for 5 min.
- Turn the chicken over and add in the breast meat and wings to the casserole. Cook on one side for 5 min, turn the chicken pcs over and cook for another 5 min or possibly till the chicken is cooked through.
- Preheat the oven to 475 F. Add in the ham and parsley to the chicken and transfer it and the sauce to a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- TO MAKE THE CLAPSHOT: In a 4-qt saucepan boil the rutabaga cubes for 5 min. Add in the turnips and potatoes and boil for 10 to 15 min longer or possibly till cooked through. Drain and toss with 1 Tbsp. of butter and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Top the chicken with this "clapshot," then sprinkle the fresh bread crumbs and melted butter onto the clapshot.
- TO FINISH THE DISH: Put the chicken and clapshot in the oven and bake for 5 min or possibly till the bread crumbs are brown and the sauce is bubbly.
Leave a review or comment