Chicken Sausage, Sweet Potato and Kale SoupPrep: 15 min Servings: 6by Kristy Brazelton13 recipes>
My family loves the potato and sausage soup at Olive Garden. So I made up this soup to try & replace the Olive Garden one with healthier food options. It's really chunky & filling and very tasty served with some fresh chopped italian parsley & fresh grated parmesean on top, if desired.
- 6 Spinach & feta chicken sausages, sliced into 1/2 pieces
- 2 large sweet onions, peeled, cut in half & sliced
- 2 large sweet potatos, peeled & cubed
- 1 bunch kale, washed, stems removed & rough chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 64 oz fat free low sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1 large lemon, zested
- 1 orange, zested
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp. dry basil
- 2 tsp. dry oregano
- Pinch chili flakes, if desired
- 1/2 pint cream
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Add olive oil to pan & heat over medium high heat.
- Add onion slices. Cook onion until begin to turn golden.
- Add garlic and continue to cook until onions are carmelized & garlic is soft.
- Add sherry & deglaze pan. Allow sherry to almost fully evaporate.
- Add all remaing ingredients except cream & kale. Bring to simmer & allow to simmer until potatos are tender.
- Remove soup from heat, add kale, cream & serve.
- Note: Sausage can be browned before placing into soup if you prefer the testure of the sausage that way.
- If kale is not available chard can be used. If using chard allow chard to cook for a few minutes, it does not wilt as easily as the kale does.
Leave a review or comment