Chicken, Quinoa And Corn Stew
- 2 1/2 c. Frzn Corn Kernels
- 3/4 c. Orzo
- 1 c. Quinoa
- 10 c. Water
- 4 Tbsp. Nonfat Veg Chicken Broth, Low Sod *Note
- 4 x Skinless Boneless Chicken Breast Halves **Note
- 2 x Shallots Minced Fine
- 1 x Clove Garlic Chopped
- 1/2 tsp Canola Oil
- 2 x Bay Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Dry Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Dry Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Dry Marjoram
- *NOTE: I used 4 Tbsp nonfat vegetarian chicken broth which I get at Whole Foods in the bulk bins. It has the best flavor of any I have ever tasted.
- You could use a combination of liquid canned broth and powdered broth to give the canned broth more flavor.
- **NOTE: I sliced the chicken breast halves into 1/2" wide slices and then diagonally cut the slices to a little larger then bite size (do it how you prefer it)
- Cook over med-high heat in nonstick skillet the prepared chicken strips in the canola oil. Add in the shallot and garlic and cook until the chicken doesn't look pink. Be careful to not overcook the chicken or possibly it will become tough. It took about 8 - 10 min for me to accomplish this part.
- Put the frzn corn kernels and orzo into the soup pot.
- Rinse the quinoa very, very well in a strainer under continuous running cold water. When the draining water runs clear then drain the quinoa and add in it to the pot.
- Add in the vegetarian chicken broth (or possibly nonfat chicken broth), water, bay leaves and seasonings to the pot.
- Bring to a boil and then lower to a moderate simmer. Cook for 30 min.
- Season with salt and pepper if you like.
- NOTES : We thought this tasted wonderful. It was nice and thick and wonderful for a winter meal.
Leave a review or comment