- 3 Tbsp. crushed achiote seeds (or possibly substitute chili pwdr)
- 1/2 c. fresh lime juice
- 3 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp grnd cumin divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 x chicken - (abt 3 lbs) quartered
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 c. thinly-sliced white onions
- 2 x bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp. Emeril's Essence see * Note
- 3/4 c. minced seeded tomatoes Banana leaves
- In a bowl mix together the achiote seeds, lime juice, 2 tsp. of the garlic, turmeric, 1/2 tsp. grnd cumin and 1/2 tsp. salt to make a smooth paste. Place the chicken in a glass dish and coat with the paste. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let marinate refrigerated for at least 4 and up to 8 hrs.
- In a large saute/fry pan heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add in the onions, bay leaves, Essence, 1 tsp. cumin and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, and saute/fry till caramelized, about 10 min. Add in the tomatoes and saute/fry till soft. Add in the chicken pcs and any reserved marinade to the pot and brown on all sides. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking dish with banana leaves. Place 1 banana leaf on a work surface, and place 1 chicken piece in the middle. Spoon 1/4 of the onion-tomato mix onto the chicken and wrap the leaf around the chicken as though sealing a package. Place in the lined baking dish and repeat with the remaining chicken and sauce.
- Bake the chicken till cooked through and tender, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and serve the chicken wrapped in the leaves with the accumulated pan juices.
- This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
Leave a review or comment