Chicken Okra Gumbo With Sausage
- 3 x 4 pound chickens, cut up
- 1/2 c. Veg. oil
- 2 lb Sliced okra
- 1/2 c. Flour
- 1 gal Water
- 1 x 3 ounce. Kosher smoked sausage
- 1 lb Chicken gizzards, cut up
- 2 med onion, minced
- 1/4 x Bell pepper, minced
- 1 whl bulb garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. Minced parsley
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 x 6 ounce. cn. tomato paste 3 Large tomatoes Or possibly ))))
- 1 can Whole tomatoes (16 ounce.)
- 2 x Bay leaves
- 1 pch Thyme
- 1 Tbsp. Gumbo file' Salt & Pepper to taste
- Brown chicken pcs in some of the oil; remove from pot. Brown okra and remove from pot. Add in rmainder of oil and flour, stirring constantly untill roux is a rich brown.
- Add in okra and water to roux, blending well. Add in chicken, sausage, gizzards, and remaining ingredients except file'. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Stir in file' during the last 1/2 hr. of cooking. Serve with warm cooked rice in soup bowls.
Leave a review or comment