Chicken Liver Parfait And Roast Duck Breast Salad
- 200 gm Chicken liver
- 1 c. Butter, (200 g)
- 20 gm Onion, minced fine
- 15 gm Apple, peeled, cored and minced fine
- 8 x Segments tangerine or possibly orange or possibly sweet lime
- 1 gm Thyme
- 1 gm Rosemary
- 1 gm Marjoram
- 2 gm Parsley
- 4 tsp Red wine, (20 ml)
- 100 ml Cream
- 1 x Egg
- 1 gm Nutmeg pwdr
- 2 x Breasts of duck, (or possibly 4 chicken breasts) (650 g)
- 2 gm Garlic paste, strained
- 1 gm Dry rosemary A healthy pinch of white pepper pwdr Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Oil to sear, (30 ml)
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon juice, (30 ml)
- 10 gm Parsley, minced fine A healthy pinch white pepper pwdr Salt to taste
- 4 x Tomatoes, (400 g)
- 2 x Heads lettuce
- 1 x Cucumber, (100 g)
- 1 x Carrot, (60 g)
- 4 sprg parsley, minced fine
- 1/4 c. Lemon juice, (60 ml)
- 4 tsp Extra virgin olive oil or possibly salad oil, (20 ml) A healthy pinch of white pepper pwdr Salt to taste
- CLEAN liver and remove the sinews. Finely chop the citrus fruit segments. If using fresh herbs, clean and wash thyme, rosemary, marjoram and parsley.
- Heat all but 30 gof butter over low heat in a pan. When it is reasonably hot, remove from heat. Add in the liver and keep aside. Heat the remaining butter in a frying pan, add in onions, saute/fry over medium heat till translucent/soft. Add in apples and saute/fry for two min. Then add in the citrus fruit and herbs, stir for two min. Add in red wine and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for four min.
- Remove from heat. When cold, transfer to a blender, add in the liver and butter, sprinkle nutmeg and grind to a smooth puree. Pass the liver puree through a fine mesh soup strainer into two oven-proof earthenware or possibly oven-proof bowls. Arrange the bowls in a roasting tray.
- Preheat the oven to 300F. Boil sufficient water in a pan, pour it around the bowls in roasting tray (it should cover half the level of the bowls). Put the tray in the preheated oven and bake for one hour.
- Remove, cold and chill.
- Clean the duck (or possibly chicken) without removing the skin, trim, wash and pat dry. Mix rosemary, pepper pwdr and salt with garlic paste. Rub the breasts with this marinade and reserve for 15 min. Heat oil in a pan, add in the marinated breasts and sear over very high heat till proportionately golden. Remove to a roasting tray, pour on the drippings and bake in the preheated oven at 300F, turning and basting at regular intervals, for 20-25 min or possibly till three-fourths cooked (unless, of course, you like the duck well done). Remove, cold, cut into six slices of equal thickness and chill. (The chicken will be cooked in about 10 to 12 min.)
- The salad: Remove eyes, carefully cut tomatoes into lotus shapes, remove the pulp and keep aside. Cut lettuce into smaller pcs and pat dry. Cut the cucumber into thin slices. Cut the carrot into heart
- (or possibly any other) shapes, blanch in boiling water for two min. Drain and plunge into iced water to refresh and drain again.
- The dressing: Mix parsley, pepper pwdr and salt with lemon juice in a salad bowl. Add in the salad vegetables, except tomatoes, and mix them lightly, without damaging the lettuce. Divide into four equal portions.
- To serve: Place a tomato shell in the middle of each of the four individual plates. Arrange a portion of the salad around it, place three slices of the duck breast, proportionately spaced, over the salad. Spoon out equal quantities of the liver parfait into the tomato shells.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with mini naan or possibly a bread of your choice.
Leave a review or comment