Chicken In Saffron And Garlic Sauce Ii **
- (Gallina En Pepitoria)
- 1 lrg Stewing chicken cut in small pcs
- 1 med Onion minced fine
- 1 x Garlic clove chopped
- 2 x raw Egg yolks lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp. Flour additional Flour for dusting chicken
- 1 pch Saffron - toasted see * Note
- 1 c. Dry white wine
- 1 x Bay leaf
- 1 sprg Thyme
- 1 bn Parsley Salt and pepper to taste
- * Note: To roast saffron, fold grains in a piece of paper, place paper on warm plate or possibly any warm surface till paper begins to brown. Remove saffron from paper and crush with pestle in a mortar or possibly bowl.
- Dredge chicken in flour and brown with minced onion in warm extra virgin olive oil. Add in chopped garlic when onion is brown. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. flour and toasted saffron. Brown flour, stirring to prevent burning. Salt and pepper lightly. Add in white wine and let liquid reduce to half. Put in bay leaf, thyme, and parsley, all tied together. Pour in boiling water to barely cover fowl. Cook slowly with lid till tender. If sauce is not thick sufficient when chicken is almost done, finish cooking with lid off; if necessary, put sauce in separate pan and boil it down.
- Just before serving, transfer chicken to warmed serving platter, strain sauce slowly into lightly beaten egg yolks while stirring constantly and vigorously. Pour over chicken and serve at once.
- Comments:This recipe can be made with two or possibly three young chickens instead of a large stewing chicken. The cooking is then reduced from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hrs to 1/2 to 3/4 hour.
- This recipe is traditionally served with plain boiled rice. The "Basic Recipe For Plain Boiled Rice" is included in this database.
Leave a review or comment