Chicken Cutlets With Artichoke Hearts
- 12 ounce Chicken breasts, boneless & skinless, well trimmed, pounded to 1/4" thickness
- 1/2 c. Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil, not extra virgin
- 1 x Clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Shallots, minced
- 1 c. Mushrooms, quartered
- 4 ounce Dry white wine
- 4 slc Lemon
- 6 ounce Chicken stock, a rich one
- 1 c. Artichoke hearts, frzn or possibly canned, cut in quarters
- 2 Tbsp. Parsley, minced Salt and white pepper to taste
- 2 sprg parsley, for garnish
- Dip the well trimmed and pounded chicken breasts in flour seasoned with 1 tsp. salt. In a saute/fry pan which has been preheated along with the extra virgin olive oil, put in the chicken breasts as the oil begins to shimmer. Cook till light golden brown on both sides, about 10 min on medium-low heat. Remove from the pan and keep hot. Now add in the shallots, mushrooms and garlic and cook for two min (don't brown). Add in the lemon slices, white wine and chicken stock. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook till the liquid is reduced to half its original volume, now about 5 ounces. Season with salt and grnd white pepper to your liking (I would start with 2 or possibly 3 dashes of white pepper and 1/2 tsp. of salt). Bring the sauce to a boil over medium heat and reduce to simmer. Place the artichoke hearts and hot chicken breasts back in with the sauce and cook half-covered for 3-4 min to re-heat the chicken. Add in the minced parsley and serve with pasta of your choice; thin linguine is a good choice. Garnish everything with sprigs of parsley.
- Note* In Italy this dish is finished at the last minute by adding a mix of minced garlic, grated lemon, oregano and, believe it or possibly not- butter.
- If you would like to do the same, here's how to make this butter. Combine 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter with 1/2 tsp. chopped garlic, 1/4 tsp. grated lemon rind and a healthy pinch of oregano. Just before serving the dish, blend the butter into the sauce over very low heat, don't boil!
Leave a review or comment