Chicken Chili Verde
- 3 lb skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch pcs
- 5 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 7 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 c. minced onions
- 3 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 1/2 c. minced fresh Anaheim chilies* (about 4)
- 2 x green bell peppers, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 5 c. frzn corn kernels, thawed
- 6 c. canned low-salt chicken broth
- 12 x tomatillos,** husked, coarsely minced
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh oregano or possibly 1 Tbsp. dry
- 2 Tbsp. chili pwdr
- 1 Tbsp. grnd cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 x cinnamon sticks
- 1 c. minced fresh cilantro Tortilla chips
- *Also known as California chilies. Available at Latin American markets and many supermarkets.
- **A green tomato-like vegetable with a paper-thin husk. Available at Latin American markets and some supermarkets.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Coat with flour. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in half of chicken to skillet and saute/fry till golden, about 10 min. Transfer to large pot. Repeat with 1 Tbsp. oil and remaining chicken.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add in onions and garlic; saute/fry till onions are tender, about 5 min. Transfer to pot with chicken. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add in Anaheim chilies and green bell peppers. Saute/fry till tender, about 4 min. Transfer to pot with chicken. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in same skillet. Saute/fry half of corn till tender, about 2 min. Transfer to pot with chicken. Repeat with remaining 1 Tbsp. oil and corn.
- Add in chicken broth, tomatillos, oregano, chili pwdr, cumin, paprika and cinnamon sticks to pot. Bring liquid to boil. Reduce heat and simmer till mix thickens and flavors blend, stirring occasionally, about 2 hrs. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Chill till cold.
- Cover and keep refrigerated. Rewarm over medium heat before continuing.)
- Mix cilantro into chili. Transfer to large serving bowl. Garnish with tortilla chips and serve.
- Serves 12.
- In New Mexico, chili verde is prepared with lots of meat and no beans.
- This recipe uses chicken, and you can make it spicier by adding jalapeno chilies.
Leave a review or comment