Chicken, Butternut Squash & Pecan TartPrep: 45 min Cook: 45 min Servings: 12by Julia Ann Souders63 recipes>
An entree good enough for dessert. Combining the fruits of fall in a ginger pastry. Adapted from Country Living Magazine, Nov. 1998. ©2007-2014 Netta Belle’s Choice® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk.Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office.” nettabelleschoice.com and cookbookinabox.com. All rights reserved.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1/4 cup cold vegetable shortening
- 4-5 tablespoons ice water
- TART FILLING
- 3 cups parboiled butternut squash cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh nutmeg, grated
- 1 cup cooked chicken, diced in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup finely diced apple
- 3/4 cup coarsely broken pecans
- Preheat oven 350 F. Grease a 12 inch tart pan or 12 inch pie pan.
- Combine flour, sugar, ginger and salt in bowl.
- Use a pastry blender to cut in the butter and shortening until dough is the size of peas.
- Add the ice water tablespoon at a time.
- Mix with a fork until dough hold together.
- Shape into flat disc, wrap in wax paper and chill 30 minutes.
- Lightly flour bread board and roll out into a 13 inch circle.
- Fit into the tart pan or pie pan, trim the edge.
- Cover with damp cloth while assembling the filling.
- Peel and parboil butternut squash until tender not mushy, drain.
- Cut squash into 1/2 inch cubes, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine honey, sugar, melted butter and 2 eggs.
- Add the cinnamon and nutmeg, stir until well blended.
- Add diced chicken, squash, apple and pecans.
- Fold in batter until ingredients are coated.
- Pour into prepared pastry.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until filling is set.
- Cool on rack slightly before removing rim of tart pan.
- Serve while hot.
Leave a review or comment