Chicken And Rice In A Sandy Clay Plot
- 2 c. Long-grain rice
- 2 1/4 c. Cool water
- 6 x Chinese dry black mushrooms
- 1/4 c. Dry lily buds
- 6 x Chicken thighs, preferably with the skin
- 2 x Lean Chinese sausages (about 2 ounces each)
- 1 Tbsp. Peanut or possibly corn oil
- 4 x Garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 x Quarter-sized slices fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 Tbsp. Fermented bean curd (fu yu), mashed (optional)
- 4 x Green onions, including the green tops, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 tsp Corn starch
- 1/2 c. Chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. Rice wine or possibly dry sherry
- 1/4 tsp White pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. So sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Rice wine or possibly dry sherry
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Asian sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Corn starch
- For entertaining, this recipe makes a fun presentation when prepared in four individual two-c. clay pots. To season a new sandy clay pot and lid, submerge both in cool water overnight.
- Rinse with cool water till water runs clear. Drain thoroughly. Put rice and water into a 2 1/2 to 3-qt sandy clay pot; set aside.
- In 2 separate bowls, cover the mushrooms and lily buds with water till soft and pliable, about 30 min. Drain. Cut off and throw away mushroom stems; cut caps in half. Cut off and throw away hard ends of each lily bud; tie each bud into a knot. Set aside.
- Using a heavy cleaver, chop the chicken crosswise into 3 pcs cleanly through the skin, meat and bone leaving no jagged minced bones.
- Toss chicken with marinade; set aside for 20 min. Cut sausages into thin diagonal slices.
- In a preheated wok add in oil, garlic and ginger. Stir-fry over medium heat till fragrant, about 10 seconds. Increase heat to high; add in chicken and sausages and stir occasionally till lightly browned, about 5 min. Add in mashed fermented bean curd to center of wok; toss with chicken mix. Add in mushrooms, lily buds and green onions and stir-fry 30 seconds.
- Mix cornstarch with chicken stock, wine and pepper to a smooth mix.
- Pour into the wok and stir till sauce thickens, about 10 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Place clay pot over medium-high heat. Boil rice and stir with chopsticks to loosen grains. Continue boiling till surface water is absorbed (about 5 min). Pour chicken mix over rice, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 20 min. Turn off heat, don't remove lid; let sit for 10 min longer.
Leave a review or comment