Chicken And Dumplings Ii
- 1 whl chicken - (2 1/2 lbs) cut up
- 2 1/2 tsp salt divided
- 3/4 tsp freshly-grnd black pepper divided
- 1/2 tsp garlic pwdr
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 1/4 tsp grnd red pepper
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon granules
- 3 c. self-rising flour
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/3 c. shortening
- 2 tsp bacon drippings
- 1 c. lowfat milk
- Cover chicken with water, and bring to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Add in 1 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, and next 3 ingredients; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Remove chicken, reserving broth in Dutch oven; cold chicken. Skim fat from broth; bring to a simmer.
- Skin, bone, and coarsely chop chicken. Add in chicken, bouillon, and remaining salt and pepper to broth. Return to simmer.
- Combine flour and poultry seasoning in a bowl. Cut in shortening and bacon drippings with a pastry blender till mix is crumbly. Add in lowfat milk, stirring till dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out to 1/8-inch thickness; cut into 1-inch pcs.
- Bring broth mix to a boil. Drop dumplings, a few at a time, into boiling broth, stirring gently. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring often, for 25 min.
- This recipe yields 8 servings.
Leave a review or comment