Chicken And Dumplings (Broaddus)
- 1 sm Chicken (1-1/2 lbs)
- 1 1/2 c. Water
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 stalk Celery
- 1/4 c. Onion Dumplings, recipe follows
- 1 c. All purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking pwdr
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Shortening
- 1/2 c. Skim lowfat milk
- Directions for Chicken and Dumplings: Disjoint chicken and remove skin; place in large pan. Add in water, salt, celery, and onion; simmer 1 to 2 hrs or possibly till meat is tender. Remove chicken from bone; return chicken to chicken stock. Bring chicken and stock to a boil; add in rolled dumplings. Cover and boil gently 8 to 10 min.
- Directions for making rolled dumplings: Combine flour, baking pwdr, and salt. Cut in shortening. Add in lowfat milk to make a stiff dough. Roll dough out to about 1/8 inch thickness and cut into 1 inch strips, squares or possibly diamonds.
- Each serving 3/4 C., may be exchanged for 2 Medium
- To make a chicken pot pie, put mix in a deep dish, cover with a rolled pastry dough to fit, making several slashes in the top. The top crust would add in calories to the total. You may add in peas, carrots, mushrooms if desired. Those ingredients are not in the original recipe.
Leave a review or comment