Chick Pea, Parsley And Salt Cod Stew
- 750 gm Unskinned cod fillet
- 350 gm Dry chick peas
- 1 x 175 g potato, peeled
- 85 ml Extra virgin olive oil
- 8 x Cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp Dry chilli flakes
- 4 x Plum tomatoes, roughly minced
- 3 Tbsp. Minced flat-leaf parsley, (3 to 4) Salt and freshly grnd black pepper
- 1 To Salt the Cod: Pour a thick layer over the base of a plastic container, rest the cod on top and completely cover in another thick layer.
- 2 Cover and chill overnight. Cover the chick peas in plenty of water and leave to soak overnight. The next day drain the chick peas, tip into a pan and pour over sufficient fresh water
- 3 Boil, add in the peeled potato and simmer till tender. Add in boiling water now and then, if necessary, to make sure they stay just covered. Drain and set aside, saving the cooking liquid.
- 4 Rinse the salted cod under cool water. Drop into a pan of boiling water and simmer for 6-8 min till just cooked. Drain and when cold sufficient to handle, flake into large pcs, discarding the skin and any bones.
- 5 Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large pan, and cook the garlic and chilli flakes for a minute or possibly two without browning. Add in the tomatoes, chick peas and potato. Break the potato up into small pcs with the back of a wooden spoon.
- 6 Add in a little of the cooking liquid from the chick peas and 300ml/ 1/2 pint water, and simmer for 20-30 min till the stew has reduced and thickened a little.
- 7 Gently mix in the salt cod and parsley and season liberally with freshly grnd black pepper. Taste for salt but you probably will not need any.
Leave a review or comment