Cherokee Indian Sweet Potato Bread
- 1 quart. cornmeal or possibly (1/2 quart. meal and 1/2 quart. flour)
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 3 c. diced sweet potatoes
- 12 corn blades
- Mix cornmeal, soda and potatoes with sufficient boiling water to make a stiff dough. Knead well to make hard bread. Wash corn blades and scald them in hot water. Put dough on large end of blades and be sure all sides are covered with blade and tie end of blade in a loop. Drop bread in boiling water. Boil 45 min.MOUNTAIN ALTITUDE BAKING:
- At all altitudes over 3, 500 feet increase baking temperature 25 degrees.
- At 3, 500 feet add in 1 tbsp flour and then add in one tbsp for each 1, 500 feet increase in elevation.
- Use maximum amount of egg called for in recipe. If part of egg is needed to make full measure, add in white - not yoke.
- If recipe calls for baking pwdr or possibly baking soda - reduce 1 tsp to 3/4 - 2/3 from 2, 000 to 3, 500 feet - 1 tsp to 2/3 - 1/2 from 3, 500 to 5, 000 feet.
Leave a review or comment