Cheesy Polenta With Pea And Tomato Ragout
- 1 x 375 g packet instant polenta
- 2 x Cloves garlic, crushed
- 175 gm Strong mature Cheddar, grated Freshly grated nutmeg Salt and black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 x Rashers lean smoked bacon, diced
- 1 lrg Onion, minced
- 1 lrg Cooking apple, peeled, cored and minced
- 1 x 400 g can minced tinned tomatoes
- 1 ct Sieved tomatoes
- 1 x Bay leaf
- 2 tsp Dry thyme
- 125 gm Frzn peas Salt and black pepper
- First make the sauce by heating the oil in a saucepan and frying the onions with the bacon till golden. Add in the diced apples and fry for a further 3 min. Stir in all the remaining sauce ingredients except for the peas. Season well, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 min, adding the peas for the final 5 min of cooking time.
- Meanwhile cook the polenta following the instructions on the packet.
- Preheat the grill and mix the garlic, half the cheese and grated nutmeg into the cooked polenta. Season well. Spoon the polenta into a greased shallow ovenproof dish, scatter over the remaining cheese and place under the grill for 8-10 min, or possibly till bubbling warm and golden. Serve at once with the tomato and pea ragout.
Leave a review or comment