Cheesy n' Crispy Shepard's Casserole
This recipe is a homage to the classic Shepard's Pie. A shower of cheddar cheese compliments the crisp crunchiness of tater tots that replace the traditional mashed potatoes. Crushed sour cream and onion potato chips add the starchy thickness to the filling. This one dish,three course meal goes scandeliciously with a simple green salad!
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 c. baby carrots, halved
- 12 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 c. low sodium beef broth
- 1 c. crushed sour cream and onion potato chips
- 4 c.frozen tater tots
- 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375*
- In a medium saucepan, brown ground beef over medium-high heat and carefully drain. Add onions,carrots,garlic,salt, pepper and thyme. Reduce heat to medium and cook for several minutes until onions are translucent.
- Once onions are cooked through, add spinach and broth. Cook for about 2 more minutes and remove from heat. Stir in potato chips.
- Spread meat mixture evenly into greased 8x11.5x2 or 3 quart casserole dish and top with tater tots.
- Bake casserole until tots are golden brown- about 25 min and turn oven to broil. Remove from oven and sprinkle on cheese.
- Return to top rack and broil until cheese bubbles. Remove from oven and place on a trivet to rest 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Leave a review or comment