Charred Pineapple Relish With Thai Basil And Orange Mint
- 1 x pineapple
- 1 x red onion, peeled
- 2 x sweet peppers (mix of red, yellow or possibly green), stems and seeds removed
- 1 c. rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped Thai red chilies A few dashes of Thai fish sauce (nam pla Salt Freshly grnd black pepper
- 1 bn Thai basil or possibly sweet basil, stems removed
- 1 bn orange mint, stems removed Or possibly small peppermint leaves, along with 1 Tbsp. orange juice
- Prepare a charcoal fire or possibly preheat broiler. Cut pineapple into quarters lengthwise, slice off rind and core and cut out 'eyes.' Grill or possibly broil pineapple till charred on all sides, turning occasionally, about 15 min.
- Set aside to cold.
- Dice onion, sweet peppers and pineapple.
- In a small saucepan, bring vinegar and sugar to a boil; add in onion and cook 3 min, till soft. In a bowl, combine pineapple, peppers, chilies and fish sauce, and pour vinegar mix over. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cold to room temperature.
- Chop herbs; add in to relish and stir. Serve at room temperature. Goes well with grilled seafood, poultry or possibly pork.
Leave a review or comment