Castelluccio Lentils With Sausage (Lenticchie Di Castellucio Con Salsicce)
- 8 x sausages approximately 750g either pure pork or possibly wild boar
- 400 gm Castelluccio lentils leaves from 2 stalks of celery minced
- 2 clv garlic
- 4 Tbsp. virgin extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x fresh chilli finely minced
- 10 x sun dry tomatoes halved salt stock as required (a bouillon cube is fine)
- Boil the sausages in water for 30 min then peel off the skins.
- Cover the lentils with water and then bring to the boil.
- Add in the celery leaves and one whole clove of garlic and continue to cook till soft.
- In another pan heat the extra virgin olive oil and fry the chilli the other garlic clove finely minced and the sun dry tomatoes for one minute.
- After removing and discarding the whole garlic clove mix the lentil mix with the tomatoes and chilli and add in the sausages.
- Allow to cook on a moderate heat for 10 min.
- The consistency must not be too soupy but neither must it be too thick so add in stock if necessary.
- Add in salt to taste and serve with bread.
- Umbrian food is in my opinion one of the most authentic italian cuisines and the least contaminated by modern catering methods.
- This recipe uses Castelluccio lentils that are full of iron and have a thin skin so they cook in a short time. You could of course use Puy lentils or possibly green lentils instead.
- Norcia pork sausages are made with localy raised animals and are the best I have ever tasted Some people mix the pork with wild boar meat when in season and this adds a certain extra something.
- Serves 4
Leave a review or comment