Carrot Cake (butter and sugar free)Prep: 15 min Cook: 35 min Servings: 27by Hungry Jenny474 recipes>
A healthier version - that still tastes like carrot cake :-) The 'frosting' is cream cheese so is also a healthier option than the standard frosting you get with carrot cake, but feel free to omit if you want to make this even healthier! This recipe is for a 7 x 12.5" traybake and cuts into 27 small bars.
- 200g carrot, grated
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 100ml orange juice concentrate
- 75ml rice bran oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 300g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 50g pumpkin seeds
- 50g dried mixed fruit
- 200g cream cheese, slightly softened
- Zest of 1 large orange
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Mix the carrot, banana and egg in a bowl. Pour in the orange juice, oil and vanilla stirring in well. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift in the flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Fold in the pumpkin seeds and fruit.
- Pour in the wet mixture and fold until everything is just mixed.
- Transfer to a traybake, evening out the top with a knife. Bake for 30-35 minutes until you can pull a toothpick out clean. Allow to cool.
- Beat the cream cheese with the orange zest and spread evenly over the cooled cake. Chill for at least an hour or so before cutting into slices.
Leave a review or comment