Caramelized Pineapple Sundaes With Chocolate Coconut Sauce
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. water
- 1/2 c. unsalted macadamia nuts coarsely minced
- 1 can sweetened cream of coconut - (15 ounce) (such as Coco Lopez)
- 6 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa pwdr
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 1 pch salt
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. golden sugar - (firmly packed)
- 1 sm pineapple peeled, cored, and cut into 1" pcs
- 2 pt vanilla ice cream
- For Praline: Line 8- by 8-inch baking pan with foil. Stir sugar and water in heavy small saucepan over medium-low heat till sugar dissolves. Increase heat and boil without stirring till syrup is deep amber color, occasionally brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush and swirling pan, about 7 min. Fold in nuts. Immediately pour mix into prepared pan, spreading slightly. Cold completely. Peel foil off praline. Coarsely chop praline. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Store refrigerated in airtight container.)
- For Sauce: Bring cream of coconut and cocoa to simmer in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat, whisking till smooth. Remove from heat. Add in extracts and salt; whisk to blend. Cold. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before using.)
- For Pineapple: Heat butter and sugar in very large skillet over medium heat, stirring till sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high. Add in pineapple and saute/fry till golden brown, about 3 min per side. Divide pineapple among 8 sundae dishes. Top each with 1 scoop of ice cream. Top with sauce and praline.
- This recipe yields 8 servings.
- Test-kitchen tip: When making the praline topping, don't stir the sugar syrup as it boils. Stirring will cause the melted sugar to crystallize and become grainy.
Leave a review or comment