Caramel Glazed Walnut Cake Gateau Grenoblois
- 8 x (1 inch thick slices of French bread, crust trimmed, bread cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 c. Walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1 c. Sugar
- 4 lrg egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp. Dark rum
- 4 tsp Instant espresso coffee pwdr dissolved in 1 t water
- 1 tsp Grated lemon peel
- 6 lrg egg whites
- 1 pch Salt
- 1/2 c. Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Water
- 8 x Walnut halves, toasted
- FOR CAKE: Preheat oven to 350F. Butter 9-inch diameter springform pan.
- Line bottom with parchment paper. Butter parchment. Dust pan with flour.
- Finely grind bread in processor. Spread on baking sheet. Bake till golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 10 min. Finely grind breadcrumbs in processor. Measure 3/4 c. crumbs (reserve remainder for another use).
- Finely grind nuts in processor.
- Using electric mixer, beat 3/4 c. sugar and yolks in large bowl till thick, about 3 min. Beat in rum, coffee pwdr mix and peel. Fold in 3/4 c. crumbs and grnd nuts. Beat whites and salt in another large bowl till soft peaks form. Gradually add in remaining 1/4 c. sugar and beat till stiff. Fold 1/3 of whites into batter. Mix in remaining whites in 2 additons.
- Spoon batter into pan. Bake cake till tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 min. Cold in pan on rack 10 min. Turn out cake.
- Peel off parchment. Turn cake over; cold on rack 15 min.
- Line baking sheet with foil. Lightly oil foil. Place cake on prepared sheet.
- FOR CARAMEL: Combine sugar and water in heavy medium saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat till sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high and boil without stirring till mix turns amber, brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush and swirling pan occasionally, about 6 min.
- Pour caramel over top of cake. Oil tip of knife. Immediately cut through caramel layer only, marking 8 serving pcs. Garnish with walnut halves.
- Cold completely.
Leave a review or comment