CAPE BRANDY TART (also known as Tipsy Tart)
Traditional South African Pudding. Light and delicious. Freezes beautifully so you can always have a pudding on hand.
- 250g dates - stoned ( pips removed)
- 5 ml Bicarbonate of Soda
- 250 ml boiling water
- 125g margarine or butter
- 250 ml castor sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 375 ml cake flour
- 5 ml Baking Powder
- 3 ml salt
- 100g pecan or walnuts chopped (optional)
- Cut up dates and divide into 2 equal portions.
- Add bicarb and boiling water to one half, mix well and set aside to cool.
- Cream margarine and sugar, add beaten eggs and mix well.
- Sieve dry ingredients and fold into margarine mixture.
- Add second portion of dates, together with nuts if you are using them and mix well.
- Stir in the date and bicarb mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Turn batter into two greased foil (or other) tart plate 22cm in size.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180/360 for 40 - 50 minutes or until skewer inserted comes out clean.
- SYRUP must be poured over the hot tarts as soon as they come out of the oven.
- 370 ml castor sugar
- 250 ml water
- 15g margarine or butter
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- 190 ml South African Brandy
- Heat sugar, margarine/butter and water together until sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and stir in Brandy and vanilla essence.
- Pour over hot tarts
- Serve at room temperature with freshly whipped thick cream or vanilla ice cream.
Leave a review or comment