- 1 lb. loaf frozen bread dough (Rhodes)
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1 whole medium onion, diced
- 1 lb. italian sausage
- 1/2 tsp. italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 15 oz. whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 2 TBSP chopped fresh parsley
- Marinara sauce, for dipping
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- Place frozen bread loaf on a baking sheet to thaw.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let thaw and rise for 2 to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and allow to cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add sausage and cook until brown, crumbling the sausage as you stir.
- Add Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool on a plate.
- In a separate bowl, combine ricotta, Parmesan, mozzarella, eggs, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- When sausage is cool, stir it in. Set aside.
- When dough is thawed and risen, cut into equal portions and roll them out on a lightly floured surface until paper thin.
- Spoon 3-4 tablespoons filling onto half of the dough circle.
- Fold half of the dough over itself, then press edges to seal.
- Brush surface of calzone with beaten egg, then bake for 10-13 minutes, or until nice and golden brown.
- Serve with warm marinara sauce.
Leave a review or comment