CalzonesPrep: 45 min Cook: 25 min Servings: 6by Jodi Taylor & Patricia Peterson3 recipes>
A healthy dough made with low fat cheese and canadian bacon.
- Whole-Grain Pizza Crust
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 (1/4 ounce ) packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 tbs honey
- 2 tbs olive oil (I used light olive oil)
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1. In large bowl, combine water and yeast; let stand for 10 minutes until bubbly. Add milk, honey, olive-oil, and salt and mix well. Stir in whole wheat flour, cornmeal, and 1/2 cup bread flour; beat for 1 minute.
- 2. Stir in enough bread flour to make a firm dough. Turn onto floured surface and knead for 10 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- 3. Turn dough onto floured work surface and let reset for 10 minutes. Spray a large cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- While the dough is rising, prepare the sauce. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, oregano, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated and the onion is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes and sugar and increase the heat to medium-high. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then lower the heat to medium-low and continue to simmer until reduced to about 1Â¼ cups, about 25 minutes. Off the heat, stir in the basil and oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the dough ball to a dry work surface and roll out into a 13-inch disk about Â¼-inch thick. Spread the pizza sauce down the middle of the dough and add your toppings. Tonight we used canadian bacon and fat free mozzarella cheese.
- After putting your toppings on, take a knife or a pizza cutter and slice each side of the dough into 3/4 of an inch strips. Once you have them all cut, start to criss cross each side until the entire portion is covered.
- Place on the baking (cookie) sheet and brush some melted butter (just a bit) over the top and sprinkle with oregano. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until crust is browned and cooked through.
Leave a review or comment