Cabbage, Sausage & Bacon Noodles In Cheddar-Mustard SauceServings: 6by Reeni11 recipes>
The source of my inspiration was a traditional Irish recipe for bacon and cabbage with two sauces: parsley and a whole-grain mustard sauce. I took flavors from both sauces and combined them, and took the bacon and cabbage theme a little further by adding Italian sausage. Instead of serving it with potatoes I used egg noodles. It's a fusion of Irish with my own Italian-American style of cooking.
- 8 slices Bacon
- Olive Oil for sauteing
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- Sea or Kosher salt & Fresh Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 pound Italian Sausage, sweet or hot (I used a mixture), ground or links with casings removed
- 6 cups Green Cabbage, shredded or thinly sliced (about 1 + 1/2 pound)
- 1 cup Water
- 8 ounces Egg Noodles
- 5 tablespoons Butter, divided
- Parmesan Cheese, grated for serving
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Dry Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 + 1/2 cups Whole Milk
- 1 + 1/2 cup Extra Sharp Cheddar
- 1. In a large cast iron skillet or heavy bottomed skillet fry the bacon until crispy. Remove to paper towels; set aside, when cool enough to handle, crumble. Drain grease from pan and add back two tablespoons of oil. Saute the onion until tender, season with salt, pepper and thyme; add garlic and saute until fragrant. Add the sausage and brown, breaking it apart as it cooks.
- 2. When the sausage is browned and broken up pile the cabbage on top. Add a cup of water, bring to a simmer on medium-low heat, cover. Check every five minutes giving the cabbage a gentle stir to slowly start incorporating the sausage mixture throughout. Cook until cabbage is tender about 15-20 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile cook the egg noodles according to package directions. Drain and toss with a tablespoon of butter or olive oil to prevent sticking.
- 4. To make the sauce melt the butter in a medium saucepan, whisk in the flour, thyme, and both mustards. Season with a little salt and pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes over low heat whisking constantly. Slowly whisk in the milk, bring back up to a simmer and allow to simmer for 2 more minutes, whisking. Add cheddar, turn off heat and whisk until melted. Remove from heat.
- 5. In a large bowl toss the noodles and sauce together. Add the cabbage mixture including any liquid and the crumbled bacon. Toss well. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Leave a review or comment