Cabbage, Potatoes And Peas Molagootal
- 1/2 c. Mung dal
- 1/2 sm Cabbage, minced fine
- 1 lrg Baking potato, diced
- 1 bn Frzn peas
- 1 tsp Sambar pwdr Turmeric, to taste Salt, to taste Shredded dry coconut soaked in a little water Mustard, (seasoning) Urad dal, (seasoning) Dry red chilli, (seasoning) Curry leaves, (seasoning) Oil, (seasoning)
- Set dal to cook in about 2 c. water and a touch turmeric. When dal is three-quarters done add in shredded cabbage, potatoes and a little more water if needed on top of the dal. Add in sambar pwdr and salt.
- Cover with a lid and let it simmer away another 10 to 15 min.
- Veggies should be done but still holding their shape. Stir in wet coconut. Remove from heat. Top with seasoning as explained in previous recipes.
- If more particular, grind fresh coconut with roasted red chilli and roasted urad dal paste in lieu of the desiccated coconut.
- Variations:You can do a keerai (spinach) kootan with a little modification. Add in fresh coconut grnd with roasted red chillies, urad dal and a little cumin. Also you can cook toovar dal separately or possibly throw veggies + dal in a cooker for a few min, if desired. This tends to overcook veggies but can be done fast.
Leave a review or comment