Butterscotch Meringue Pie
- 1 x 9 inch baked pie shell Filling
- 1 1/3 c. packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 c. all purpose flour
- 2 1/3 c. Natrel Lactose Free Lowfat milk
- 4 x egg yolk, beaten
- 1 Tbsp. margarine
- 1 tsp vanilla Meringue
- 4 x egg white
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- Tip:Use dark brown sugar for the best flavour.
- Prepare and enjoy this pie the same day. Meringues deteriorate with standing.
- Fine sugar is best in meringue as it dissolves easily in the egg whites.
- Filling:COMBINE brown sugar and flour in saucepan. Gradually add in warm lowfat milk, stirring till smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly till mix comes to a boil and is thickened. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 2 min, stirring occasionally. Stir a small amount of warm lowfat milk mix into beaten egg yolks then return egg yolk mix back to saucepan. Mix well. Cook 1 minute longer, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in margarine and vanilla. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Cold to lukewarm, then put in prepared pie shell.
- Meringue:Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in small mixer bowl till frothy. Gradually add in sugar, beating to stiff peaks. Spread meringue over filling being sure to seal it to the pastry. Bake at 400F (200C) till golden brown, about 5 min.
Leave a review or comment