Butternut Risotto Cake
- 1 x Butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 2cm (1 inch) dice
- 3 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x Red onion, finely minced
- 1 lrg Carrot, peeled and cut into small dice
- 250 gm Risotto rice, (8oz)
- 2 x Vegetable stock cubes, made up to 1 litre (1 3/4 pints) with water
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh oregano, finely minced
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh thyme, finely minced Freshly grnd black pepper
- 50 gm Semolina, (2oz)
- Preheat the oven to 220_C, 425_F, Gas Mark 7. Arrange the butternut squash pcs on a baking tray and drizzle over 1 Tbsp. of oil.
- Roast for 30 min.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. of oil in a pan and gently cook the onion and carrot till softened.
- Add in the rice and the vegetable stock a little at a time, till all the liquid is absorbed.
- Puree half of the roasted butternut squash and mix it into the risotto with the herbs and black pepper. Spread out on a tray in a square of approximately 5cm (2 inch) depth, allow to get cool, before cutting out 5cm (2 inch) rounds.
- Lightly dust the risotto cakes with semolina.
- Heat the remaining Tbsp. of oil and pan fry the risotto cakes till light golden brown in colour.
- Notes These risotto cakes can be served with ready prepared pesto.
- NOTES : The delicious flavour of butternut squash is accentuated by the risotto, with the semolina coating giving a crisp initial bite.
Leave a review or comment