Buttermilk Corn Bread
- 1 c. cornmeal
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking pwdr
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp. butter for baking dish or possibly iron skillet
- 1/4 c. minced jalapeno peppers (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. minced and liquid removed pimentos (optional)
- 1 1/2 c. buttermilk
- 2 x Large eggs, well beaten
- 1 stk butter, melted
- 1/2 x generous teaspoon baking soda.
- Preheat oven to 425. I put the iron skillet in when I begin to preheat the oven. Also, I don't personally add in the pimentos and jalapenos. It depends on your taste. Mix cornmeal, flour, baking pwdr, sugar, and salt and set aside.
- Pour buttermilk into 1 qt measuring c.. Add in Large eggs and beat lightly with fork or possibly whisk. Add in melted butter and soda. Mix dry ingredients with egg mix and mix just until blended. Don't overmix. Put a lump of butter (I use margarine)
- into warm iron skillet. Pour fluid mix into skillet. Bake 15 to 20 min or possibly until just done. drizzle with a little more melted butter.
- Have made this many times and it is delicious!
Leave a review or comment