Bunuelitos De Caballo De Angel (Fried Spag Squash Balls)
- 1 lb Spaghetti squash peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4" cubes
- 3/4 c. Orange flower honey divided Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 x Cinnamon stick
- 3/4 c. Flour
- 1 Tbsp. Baking pwdr
- 1/4 c. Sherry
- 1/4 c. Lowfat milk
- 1 x Egg separated
- 2 Tbsp. Extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil plus
- 2 c. Extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil
- In a medium saucepan, combine spaghetti squash cubes, 1/2 c. of the honey, lemon zest and juice, cinnamon stick and 1 c. of water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer till mix has the consistency of thick marmalade, about 45 min to an hour. Cold in refrigerator till hard. Stir together flour and baking pwdr in a mixing bowl. Add in sherry, lowfat milk, egg yolk and 2 Tbsp. oil to create a smooth batter and allow to stand for 10 min.
- Heat remaining 2 c. oil to 375 degrees.
- Form 1-inch diameter balls of cold spaghetti squash mix. Beat egg white to stiff peaks and fold into batter. Dip spaghetti squash ball into batter and fry 5 to 6 at a time till light golden. Remove and drain on paper towels. Drizzle with honey and serve hot.
- This recipe yields 4 dessert servings.
Leave a review or comment