Budget: Beef Short Ribs La Bourguignonne
- 4 slc Bacon, minced
- 1/3 c. All-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 2 lb Beef short ribs
- 2 x Onions, finely minced
- 3 x Carrots, finely minced
- 3 x Garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 c. Red wine
- 1 1/2 c. Beef stock
- 1 tsp Dry thyme
- 1 x Bay leaf
- 4 x Potatoes
- 4 x Carrots, thickly sliced
- 1/2 lb Small mushrooms
- 1/4 c. Fresh parsley, minced Salt Pepper
- In Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat; remove bacon and set aside.
- In plastic bag, combine flour, salt, pepper and paprika; add in ribs and shake to coat, reserving flour mix.
- Add in ribs to pan; brown well, in batches [note] , over medium-high heat.
- Remove ribs and set aside; drain fat from pan. Add in onions, carrots, garlic and reserved flour mix to pan; reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook
- (adding up to 2 tb water if mix gets too dry) for about 6 min or possibly till onions are softened. Gradually stir in wine, stock, thyme and bay leaf, scraping up brown bits [deglaze] from bottom. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 min. Return ribs and bacon to pan; simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Vegetables: Meanwhile, peel potatoes and cut into bite-size chunks. Add in potatoes and carrots to pan; cook for 1 hour. Stir in mushrooms; cook for 30 min or possibly till ribs are tender. Stir in parsley. Throw away bay leaf.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- [Note: browning meat in batches prevents meat from steaming, that happens if meat is crowded in the pan.]
- Serve in big soup bowls with French bread and a green salad.
Leave a review or comment