Brown Betty PiePrep: 20 min Cook: 70 min Servings: 6by Gabriel Denison Chandler11 recipes>
This is a different spin on both pie and an original Brown Betty. It is chewy, wholesome, very little sugar. A wonderful late summer or fall breakfast or treat.
- One pie crust
- 2 cups plus oats
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 2 lbs cut apples
- 1/2 Cup plus brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tap Nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp Ginger
- Dried or canned Mandarin oranges
- 1/3 C molasses
- 1 Tbsp Frozen orange juice
- 1Cup boiling water
- Chop and peel your apples (or leave the peels) in the fashion you prefer
- Combine ingredients (except butter) and toss in a bowl
- Add 1 cup boiling water and toss again
- Cut the butter into additional oats and sprinkle with a little more hot water to moisten them.
- Put your apple mixture in the pie shell, and cover with the oatmeal mixture, patting it between the apple spaces. Drizzle a little molasses over the top.
- Bake at 350° for one hour, then an additional 20 min at 400°
Leave a review or comment