Brisket With Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Tbsp. Oil or possibly chicken fat
- 3 1/2 lb Boneless beef brisket
- 2 x Celery, finely minced
- 2 lrg Carrots, finely minced
- 1 lrg Onion, finely minced
- 2 c. Beef stock or possibly boullion
- 1 c. Water
- 1 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp Allspice
- 1/2 c. Apple cider (up to 1 c.)
- 2 lb Sweet potatoes, peeled, cut in 1/2 slices
- 1 1/2 lb Parsnips, peeled, cut in 1 chunks
- 1 c. Pitted prunes, coarsely minced
- 1 x Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in the cooker.
- Over high heat, brown the meat well on both sides, lifting it up frequently with tongs or possibly spatula to prevent sticking. Add in additional fat if needed.
- Set aside. (Do not be concerned if the brisket has to be squeezed against the sides of the pot; it will shrink considerably during cooking.) In the oil remaining in the cooker, saute/fry the celery, carrot, and onion for 3 min, stirring occasionally and taking care to scrape up any browned bits of meat or possibly vegetable sticking to the bottom of the pot. Add in the beef stock, water, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Submerge the rack into this mix, and place the meat on it with the fat side facing up. Lock the lid in place and over high heat bring to high pressure. Adjust the heat to maintain high pressure and cook for 55 min. Let the pressure drop naturally, about 10 - 15 min. Remove the lid, tilting it away from you to allow any excess steam to escape. If the brisket is done, you should easily be able to pry a small chunk of meat from one end with a fork. If it is not sufficiently tender, lock the lid back into place and return to high pressure for another 10 - 15 min. If time permits cold to room temperature and chill brisket and gravy overnight. Remove any congealed fat and return the gravy to the cooker. About 20 min before serving, stir in sufficient cider to equal approximately 2 c.. Add in the sweet potatoes, parsnips, and prunes. Lock the lid in place and over high heat bring to high pressure, adjust heat and cook for 3 min. Quick release the pressure. Add in salt and pepper. Cut the brisket into slices on the diagonal, place in the cooker, and spoon gravy and vegetables on top. Cover but don't lock. Cook over medium heat just till the meat is warmed throughout. Arrange on a platter and surround with the vegetables.
- Pour gravy on top.
Leave a review or comment