Breast Of Pheasant With Orange And Ginger Sauce
- 4 x Boned, skinned pheasant breasts
- 6 ounce Thinly-sliced fresh mozzarella
- 4 ounce Thinly-sliced Proscuitto (or possibly other good ham)
- 1/3 c. Mixed minced herbs (such as parsley, chives and/or possibly basil) Salt, to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 c. Minced shallots or possibly green onions
- 3/4 c. Minced mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 3 c. Rich chicken stock
- 1 c. Dry white wine
- 3/4 c. Fresh orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. Minced fresh ginger
- 3/4 c. Heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp. Grated orange zest A few drops Fresh lemon juice
- Place breasts between layers of plastic wrap and very gently lb. to flatten each breast proportionately. Place slices of mozzarella and Proscuitto on each to cover breast. Sprinkle minced herbs over all and season lightly with salt and pepper. Fold each breast in half and skewer together. Set aside. Prepare the sauce by sauteing the shallots and mushrooms in 1 Tbsp. of butter till lightly colored. Add in the stock, wine, orange juice and ginger and cook over high heat till reduced by half. Add in cream and reduce again to a light sauce consistency. Strain carefully and add in orange zest, salt, pepper and drops of lemon juice to taste. Keep hot. Add in remaining 2 Tbsp. of butter and 1 Tbsp. of oil to a saute/fry pan and saute/fry prepared breasts over moderate heat, browning on both sides. Place on hot plates and spoon prepared sauce around.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
- Comments: This approach to rolling up the boned breast with a flavorful filling can be used equally well with breasts of other birds.
Leave a review or comment