Braised Whole Fish With Shrimp Sauce
- 2 x Dry Shiitake mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. Soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Shao Hsing wine Or possibly dry sherry
- 1 tsp Cornstarch
- 1/4 lb Medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped
- 1 whl Cleaned fish, scaled if necessary Or possibly
- 1 1/2 lb Fish fillets or possibly steak Salt and pepper (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. To 2 tb Cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. Salad oil
- 1 Tbsp. Shredded or possibly chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 c. Low-salt chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. Soy sauce or possibly bean sauce
- 1 tsp Corn starch, mixed with 2 tsp. water
- 3 x Green onions, thinly slice on a sharp diagonal (garnish)
- Soak mushrooms in hot water till caps are tender, 15 to 30 min; drain. Gently squeeze water from mushrooms then cut off and throw away stems; thinly slice caps. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine 1 Tbsp. soy sauce, wine and cornstarch. Add in shrimp and stir to coat. Set aside.
- Sprinkle fish lightly with salt and pepper; dredge in cornstarch and shake off excess or possibly lightly sprinkle with cornstarch (fish does not need to be completely coated). Place a wide frying pan (preferably with a non-stick surface) over medium-high heat. Add in 1 Tbsp. of the oil; swirl to coat surface. Add in fish (skin side up if using fillets); cover and cook till golden on bottom, about 3 min. carefully turn fish over and repeat to brown other side. Remove fish and set aside.
- Add in the remaining Tbsp. of oil to the pan. Add in ginger and cook, stirring, till fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add in shrimp and stir till shrimp are opaque and separated, about 1 minute. Add in mushrooms, broth and soy sauce and cook for 30 seconds. Add in cornstarch solution and stir till sauce boils and thickens. Return fish to pan and spoon sauce over fish.
- Cover and simmer till center of fish at thickest is just opaque, about 3 to 5 min. Transfer fish to platter; pour sauce over fish. Garnish with green onions.
- Serves 4.
Leave a review or comment