Braised Veal Shanks With Carrots, Parsnips, And Turnips
- 4 x Veal shanks, with the bone in the center cut 10 ounce portions surrounded by meat Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 c. Diced carrots
- 1 c. Diced parsnips
- 1/2 c. Diced turnips
- 4 x Garlic cloves left whole, peeled
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato paste
- 1 c. Dry white wine
- 1 c. Chicken stock or possibly beef and veal stock Minced fresh thyme for garnish
- Season the veal with salt and pepper. Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large, heavy skillet and sear the veal shanks over high heat on all sides till well browned, about 10 min. Remove the browned veal shanks from the skillet and place them in an ovenproof casserole. To the same skillet in that you browned the veal, add in the diced vegetables, along with the whole garlic cloves, andsaute them for 3 to 4 min.
- When the vegetables have begun to cook and wilt, add in the tomato paste and combine thoroughly. Be careful not to burn the tomato paste. Add in the white wine and the chicken or possibly veal stock and bring to a boil. Carefully pour the vegetable liquid mix over the veal shanks in the casserole and braise covered in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 45 min. The veal should be fork tender, with the meat just beginning to separate from the bone when you remove them from the oven. Cold for 10 min before serving.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
Leave a review or comment