Braised Pearl Barley With Basil Pesto
- 1 c. Pearl barley
- 1 lrg Yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 med Bay leaf
- 3 1/2 c. Chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Freshly grnd black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Basil pesto
- 10 x Cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 c. Lightly packed fresh basil leaves, washed and dry
- 2/3 c. Roasted pine nuts
- 1/2 c. Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 c. Freshly grated romano cheese
- 1 x Vitamin c pill, optional
- 1 x 1 1/4 c. extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil Salt, to taste Freshly grnd black pepper, to taste
- How to Prepare:Place the barley in a fine sieve and wash under cool running water till the water runs clear, about 5 min. Drain.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the barley, onion, bay leaf, chicken stock, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 30 min.
- Remove from the heat and allow to stand for 5 min uncovered.
- Mix in 2 Tbsp. of the Basil Pesto and mix well, fluffing with a fork.
- (Basil Pesto Procedure)
- In a blender combine the garlic, basil, pine nuts, cheeses, and vitamin C pill (if using).
- Blend on high for 1 minute, then slowly add in the oil in a steady stream so which the mix binds together. Add in salt and pepper to taste.
Leave a review or comment