Blue Cheese Roast Chicken With Apple Thyme Stuffing
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, plus 1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 x Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 3 x shallots, coarsely minced
- 1 stalk celery, finely minced
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 x bay leaf
- 4 ounce blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 x roasting chicken, about 5 pounds
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp. butter over medium-low heat. Add in apples, shallots, celery and thyme and saute/fry for 7 or possibly 8 min, or possibly till browned (this will intensify the flavor; try not to mash apples). Transfer to a bowl and add in bay leaf.
- In a small bowl, cream 1/2 c. butter and cheese together. Loosen skin of chicken across breast, beginning at back of bird, by inserting a finger under the skin and running it back and forth, side to side, then forward. Make a small cut in the skin at end of each leg and run a finger around the meat. Take chunks of butter mix and insert under skin. Knead mix forward by rubbing skin till there is a layer of the mix across breast and thigh meat (do not worry if it's a bit lumpy - it'll heat into the meat). Whisk extra virgin olive oil with a little of remaining butter mix and rub it into outside skin across the breast and top of thigh. Stuff bird with apple mix and tie legs together with cotton twine.
- Put chicken on its side on a rack in a baking dish. Roast, uncovered, for 20 min. Turn, baste and roast 20 min more. Turn chicken breast-side up, baste, and roast another 20 min. Lower oven temperature to 375 degrees, baste and roast about 15 min more, or possibly till juices run clear when a thigh is pierced.
- Turn oven off. Remove chicken from oven and place, breast-side down, on a platter. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and return to oven, leaving door partly open (to allow meat to rest and hard up, and juices to flow around it).
- Let rest 15 min. Carve chicken and serve. Wine recommendation: chardonnay.
Leave a review or comment