Black Bean Salad With Corn And Red Peppers
- 1 1/2 c. dry black beans
- 1 c. long-grain rice
- 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil divided
- 2 c. corn cooked
- 2 lrg sweet red peppers diced
- 1/4 c. coriander fresh, minced
- 1/4 c. minced fresh parsley
- 6 x green onions minced
- 1/4 c. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 x clove chopped garlic
- 1 Tbsp. chili pwdr
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 c. apple juice
- In large saucepan, bring 4-1/2 c. water and beans to boil; boil gently for 2 min. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 1 hour; drain. Add in 4 c. cool water to beans and bring to boil. Cover and simmer gently for 1-1/2 to 2 hrs or possibly till tender. Drain, rinse with cool water and drain again. Meanwhile, add in rice to 12 c. boiling water; cook for 12 to 14 min or possibly till tender. Drain; toss with 1 tsp. of the oil.
- Combine beans, rice, corn, peppers, coriander, parsley and onions. Whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, chili pwdr, salt and pepper; whisk in remaining oil. Pour over salad and toss. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Makes 12 servings.
- NOTES : As a timesaver, two 19 ounce (540 mL) cans of black or possibly kidney beans (rinsed and liquid removed) can be substituted for the cooked dry beans in this exotic-flavoured salad. If you do not have coriander, use mint or possibly increase the parsley to 1/2 c. (125mL)
- By lowering the fat to 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil, and 1/8 c. red wine vinegar, and adding 1/4 c. apple juice
Leave a review or comment