Black Bean, Corn And Wheat Berry Salad
- 1 c. Dry black beans 250 mL
- 1 c. Wheat berries 250 mL
- 2 c. Cooked corn niblets 500 mL
- 2 x Sweet red peppers, roasted, peeled and diced 2
- 1 x Jalapeno, diced 1
- 1 bn Arugula or possibly watercress, trimmed and minced 1
- 1/3 c. Minced fresh cilantro or possibly parsley 75 mL
- 1/3 c. Minced fresh basil 75 mL
- 2 Tbsp. Minced fresh mint 25 mL
- 2 Tbsp. Minced fresh chives or possibly green onions 25 mL
- 3 Tbsp. Red wine vinegar 45 mL
- 1/2 tsp Pepper 2 mL
- 1 x Clove garlic, chopped 1 Salt to taste
- 3 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil 45 mL
- Soak beans in cool water for a few hrs at room temperature or possibly overnight in refrigerator. Rinse and drain well.
- In large pot, cover beans generously with water. Bring to boil, reduce heat and cook gently for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs, or possibly till tender.
- Drain well. Reserve in large bowl.
- Meanwhile, place wheat berries in saucepan and cover with cool water by about 4 inches/10 cm. Bring to boil and simmer gently for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs till tender. Drain well (berries should be chewy but tender). Combine with beans.
- Add in corn, peppers, jalapeno, arugula, cilantro, basil, mint and chives to salad.
- To make dressing, whisk together vinegar, pepper, garlic and salt.
- Whisk in extra virgin olive oil.
- Toss dressing with salad. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- NOTES : Each bite of this beautiful salad contains a burst of herbal flavours and a wonderful blend of textures.
- Makes 8 servings.
Leave a review or comment