Black Bean And Ham Hock Soup
- 1/4 c. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c. Onion, minced
- 5 x Garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 c. Minced Pasilla chilies
- 1 Tbsp. Cumin
- 1 x Ham hock
- 2 quart Chicken stock
- 1 bot , (12-oz) of beer
- 2 quart Water
- 1 lb Black beans, soaked overnight in cool water to cover, rinsed and Liquid removed Salt and freshly grnd pepper
- 2 x Green onions, minced
- 1 bn Cilantro, minced, plus extra for garnish Lowfat sour cream and salsa, for garnish
- In a stock pot heat extra virgin olive oil just till smoking. Add in onions, garlic, chilies and cumin and stir till onions are translucent/soft. Add in ham hock, chicken stock, beer and 2 qts of water and bring to a boil. Add in black beans and simmer till beans are tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hrs.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper in last 15 min of cooking.
- Add in green onions and cilantro and cook 5 min more. Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro, lowfat sour cream or possibly salsa.
- Yield: 4 Servings
Leave a review or comment