Black And White Bean Soup
- 8 ounce dry black beans, uncooked (1 heaping c.)
- 8 ounce dry great northern beans, uncooked (1 heaping c.)
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil plus
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 x garlic cloves
- 1 c. minced leeks, white part only
- 1 c. minced carrots
- 1 c. minced onions
- 1 c. minced celery
- 7 c. water
- 1 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 1 pch grnd cloves, 1/16 tsp.
- 1 x bay leaf
- If you love thick soups, this one's for you. It's hearty and rich and full of flavor.
- Soak beans, using one of the following methods:
- Overnight method-Place beans into 2 separate bowls and add in sufficient water to cover beans by 3 inches. Soak overnight. Drain.
- Quick soak-Place beans in 2 separate pots and add in sufficient water to cover beans by 3 inches. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil 2 min.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 1 hour. Drain.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add in garlic, leeks, carrots, onions, and celery. Cook 5 min, stirring frequently.
- Add in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 1 1/2 hrs. Remove and throw away bay leaf.
- Remove 3 c. of beans from soup and place in a blender container. Blend till smooth. Stir into soup.
Leave a review or comment