Bill's Penne alla VodkaPrep: 30 min Cook: 20 min Servings: 6by Angie Morris2 recipes>
“This recipe is tailor-made for my husband Bill, done the way he likes Vodka sauce - lots of bacon, lots of Vodka, and very creamy. He is the Vodka sauce expert and he has a favorite restaurant where he always orders it. But he says my recipe is just like it! I take that as a huge compliment! You can just barely taste the Vodka in it, it is not strong. I know you can’t find this dish in Italy anymore, but it is truly a mainstay at Italian American restaurants. Lucky us! Enjoy!”
- 6 slices of bacon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup Vodka
- 1-1/2 pounds penne pasta
- ½ cup pasta water
- 1. In a large saucepot, cook the bacon over medium heat until almost done.
- 2. Using a kitchen scissors,cut the bacon into small bits.
- 3. Add the butter and garlic, sauté for a few minutes to soften the garlic.
- 4. Stir in the tomato paste, mixing it in for a few minutes.
- 5. Add the tomato puree, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and brown sugar, mixing well.
- 6. Add the heavy cream, stirring for a few minutes.
- 7. Add the Vodka and simmer for about 5 minutes on low heat.
- 8. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling salted water until done.
- 9. Drain, but reserve ½ cup of the pasta water and stir that into the sauce.
- 10. Toss the pasta with the Vodka sauce.
- 11. Serve with grated Romano cheese.
Leave a review or comment