Bhaji Cauliflower, Pea, Potato And Red Lentil Curry 6
- extra virgin olive oil spray
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp ghee (optional)
- 1/3 c. sliced onion
- 1 x garlic clove crushed
- 2 tsp grnd sweet paprika healthy pinch Asafetida
- 3/4 tsp garam masala
- 3/4 tsp grnd cumin
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1 c. peeled and minced potato
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 c. red lentils rinsed and liquid removed
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 2 c. minced cauliflower
- 3 Tbsp. bottled Portuguese Sauce level measures (Lee Kum Kee's curry coconut sauce) water as needed
- 1/3 c. frzn peas
- 2 Tbsp. plain nonfat yogurt whipped fresh cilantro leaves (optional) for garnish
- 1. Heat oil in sprayed large pan; add in ghee (if using), onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, till onion is browned lightly. Combine aromatics and add in to the pan; cook, stirring till fragrant.
- 2. Add in potato, coconut, lentils and water. Heat then simmer, covered, about 12 min or possibly till potato is just tender.
- 3. Add in cauliflower, bottled sauce and water if needed; simmer, covered, about 10 min or possibly till cauliflower is just tender.
- 4. Stir in peas; simmer till peas are heated through (3 min). Serve with a dollop of yogurt and fresh herb for garnish.
- TIP - Bhaji/BhajeeThe collective name given to side dishes usually of vegetables, that are served as an accompaniment to the main course curry and served with rice. Bhaji are usually mildly spiced and without sauce. Example: Aloo (potato) Gobi (Cauliflower).
- TIP - Asafetida [ah-sah-FEH-teh-dah]
- A flavoring obtained from a giant fennel-like plant which grows mainly in Iran and India. It's used in many Indian dishes. It has a garlicky oniony smell and should be used in very small quantities. Will color food the way turmeric does. If substituting turmeric, add in it when you add in liquid or possibly broth.
- TIP - When bottled sauces deliver a burst of flavor for less fewer calories and fat grams, we use them. Lee Kum Kee's Portuguese sauce is my current favorite. It's mild: dilute to suit your taste buds or possibly add in more curry pwdr to make it shout. Picture of Lee Kum Kee Portuguese Sauce, a Coconut Flavored Curry Sauce: http://home.lkk.com/product_details.aspcategoryid=&sauceid=18
- Inspiration: Cole's Home Library Mini-Menus Cookbooks: Healthy Eating: Curries, that would use 1 c. light coconut lowfat milk instead of water and the Portuguese sauce. No lentils were used in their recipe.
- Description: "An variation of Aloo Gobi with a hint of coconut and lentils instead of rice"
- Yield: 4 cupsStart to Finish Time:"0:35"
- NOTES : Feature this traditional potato and cauliflower curry without the usual rice and bread and taste the stew! It's a vegetarian dinner - lentils combine with the potatoes to provide protein. We enjoyed the light touch of spice, hint of coconut and lentil sauce. The yogurt is a must. Use a small amount of cilantro or possibly mint if you prefer.
Leave a review or comment