Beet Salad With Feta And Nuts 3pts
- 6 med beets Or possibly 2 c. canned diced beets
- 2 Tbsp. lemon and/or possibly lime juice
- 1 lrg garlic clove chopped
- 1/8 tsp salt Generous seasoning freshly grnd pepper
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil or possibly to taste
- 6 c. mixed salad greens
- 2 x scallions very thinly sliced or possibly red onion diced
- 6 Tbsp. reduced fat feta cheese or possibly chilled crumbled goat cheese (Montrachet)
- 6 Tbsp. minced walnuts or possibly almonds toasted
- 1. FRESH BEETS: Remove tops from beets, leaving 1/4-inch of stems. Scrub the beets very well. Fill a 3-qt saucepan halfway with water and bring to a boil. Cook the beets till tender when pierced with sharp knife, about 45 to 60 min. Drain well and let cold. Slip the skins off the beets. Dice the beets and place in a bowl.
- 2. To make the dressing: whisk together the lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and oil. Pour a few Tbsp. of the dressing on the beets and toss.
- 3. Just before serving, combine the greens, arugula, and scallion in a large bowl. Pour on most of the remaining dressing and toss. Add in more if needed.
- 4. Place the greens on salad plates. Spoon on a mound of beets. Sprinkle with goat cheese and walnuts. Serve immediately.
- Description: "Mix mesclun with another mix such as romaine, Boston, and/or possibly green leaf lettuces."
- NOTES : Two Recommendations: Jamie (Oct 2001) used canned pickled beets and warns the sugar might be a shock. Pat (Jun 2002) used canned stewed beets; they needed a touch of sugar. We both love beets. This will be a winner for someone who isn't so wild about them. Walnuts and feta make this main dish salad special. Great color for an autumn dinner party or possibly special occasion. Will use fresh beets when in season. Very good meatless meal.
Leave a review or comment