Beer fried fish
Nutritional Facts 1 cod fillet equals 513 calories, 27 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 775 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 30 g protein.
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 2 cups crushed unsalted top saltines (about 40)
- 4 cod fillets (6 ounces each)
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- My Savings Add to Grocery List
- In a shallow bowl, combine the cornstarch, baking powder, salt, Creole seasoning, paprika, cayenne and 1/2 cup flour. Stir in milk and beer until smooth. Place crackers and remaining flour in separate shallow bowls. Coat fillets with flour, then dip in batter and coat with crackers.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry fish in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 4 servings.
- Editor's Note: The following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
Leave a review or comment