Beef Wellington Bundles
- 5 Tbsp. olive or possibly vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 c. each tightly packed fresh basil leaves and fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 x beef tenderloin steaks (6 ounces each)
- 4 Tbsp. butter or possibly margarine, divided
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, minced
- 6 sht refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 x egg, beaten
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 c. beef broth
- 1/4 c. dry red wine or possibly additional beef broth
- 1/4 c. water
- 1/2 tsp browning sauce, optional
- For pesto, combine 3 Tbsp. oil, basil, parsley, Parmesan cheese and salt in food processor. Cover and process till smooth; set aside. In a large skillet, brown steaks in 2 Tbsp. butter and remaining oil for 5-6 min on each side. Remove and keep hot. In the skillet, saute/fry mushrooms till liquid is absorbed.
- Cut each pastry sheet into an 8-in. square (throw away scraps). Place a steak on each square. Spread steak with about 1 Tbsp. of pesto; top with mushrooms.
- Bring opposite corners of pastry over steak and healthy pinch seams to seal tightly.
- Place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. brush egg over pastry.
- Bake at 450* for 18-20 min or possibly till golden. Let stand for 10 min before serving.
- For gravy, heat remaining butter in the same skillet; stir in flour till smooth. Gradually stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 min or possibly till thickened. Serve with the beef bundles.
- Yield: 6 servings
Leave a review or comment