Beef Tenderloin And Vegetable Pot Pies
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 1/2 lb beef back ribs or possibly short ribs
- 7 1/4 c. beef stock or possibly canned beef broth
- 6 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 x bay leaves
- 2 c. minced carrots - (abt 2 med)
- 1 c. minced onion
- 2 c. minced zucchini - (abt 2 med)
- 2 c. coarsely-minced mushrooms - (abt 6 ounce)
- 1 c. minced tomatoes - (abt 2 med)
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 lb beef tenderloin steaks trimmed, and cut into 1/2" pcs Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 1 pkt frzn puff pastry (17 1/4 ounce) thawed
- 1 lrg egg beaten for glaze
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in heavy large pot over high heat. Add in beef ribs and brown on all sides, about 10 min. Add in beef stock, tomato paste and bay leaves and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered till liquid is reduced to 4 c., about 1 hour 15 min. Throw away ribs.
- Add in carrots and onion to pot. Simmer till carrots are tender, about 10 min. Add in zucchini, mushrooms and tomatoes and simmer 8 min. Mix flour and 2 Tbsp. butter in small bowl till paste forms. Stir paste into stock mix; simmer till gravy thickens, about 3 min. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Before continuing, rewarm over medium heat, stirring frequently.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter six 1 1/4-c. custard c. or possibly souffle dishes. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. butter in large nonstick skillet over high heat. Sprinkle beef tenderloin pcs with salt and pepper. Add in beef to skillet and cook just till outside of beef is brown, about 1 minute per side. Transfer beef to prepared custard c., dividing equally. Ladle vegetable gravy over beef in c., dividing equally.
- Roll out 1 puff pastry sheet on floured surface to 12-inch square. Using small plate as guide, cut out three 5 1/2-inch rounds from sheet. Repeat with remaining pastry sheet. Brush edges of pastry rounds with egg glaze. Place 1 round, glazed-side down, atop each filled custard c.; press overhang firmly to outside of each c.. Cut 3 vents in each pastry round. Brush pastry with remaining egg glaze.
- Bake beef tenderloin pies till pastry is golden and puffed, about 15 min. Serve hot.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
- Comments: Brian Preinfalk of Show Low, Arizona, says there"s nothing he"d rather eat on a cool winter day than one of the beef pot pies at Creasey"s Restaurant in the nearby ski resort town of Pinetop.
Leave a review or comment